Paul Godfrey Special Counsel
Paul is a Special Counsel in the corporate and commercial team at QR Lawyers.
Paul holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Deakin University and a Bachelor of Legal Studies from La Trobe University. He was admitted as a legal practitioner in February 2017.
Prior to joining QR Lawyers, Paul worked as a Registrar of the Magistrates Court of Victoria for five years. During this time, he gained significant experience in analysing and applying complex legislation and engaging with key stakeholders including regulatory authorities. He also volunteered at the Whittlesea Community Legal Service prior to, and whilst completing, his studies.
Since joining QR Lawyers in 2015, Paul has advised on a variety of corporate and commercial matters, including IPO’s/RTO’s, public and private capital raisings, mergers and acquisitions, sales of business and assets, corporate constituent documents, shareholder agreements, leasing, compliance with the ASX Listing Rules (specifically including advice on continuous disclosure obligations of listed entities) and corporate governance. In addition to his corporate and commercial practice, Paul has previously advised on trademark and employment matters.
Paul is focussed on achieving the best possible commercial outcomes for his clients and provides practical advice that takes into account the specific needs and circumstances of his clients.
He is joint company secretary of West Wits Mining Limited (ASX:WWI) and previously acted as company secretary for First Au Limited (ASX:FAU), and an Australian proprietary company operating in the cyber security industry and as joint company secretary of an Australian public company whilst it completed the acquisition of two foreign corporate entities.
Paul’s recent work includes:
- Advising on IPO’s and RTO’s, including liaising with relevant authorities and assisting with the completion of due diligence investigations;
- Assisting clients in undertaking various capital raising activities, including large investments from Australian and foreign entities and pro-rata offers to shareholders;
- Advising clients in various merger and acquisition activities, including the acquisition of foreign entities and acquisitions requiring re-compliance with the ASX Listing Rules;
- Preparation of various shareholder materials including notices of meeting seeking shareholder approvals for relevant interest acquisitions in connection with large investments;
- Advising on the terms of proposed joint venture and farm-in arrangements including preparation of relevant agreement(s);
- Advising on various ASX compliance matters, including content of announcements in the context of continuous disclosure obligations of an entity;
- Advising and preparing materials with respect to ASX escrow guidelines;
- Preparing employee and executive incentive schemes in accordance with regulatory requirements;
- Advising on the cancellation of a class of preference share(s) including preparation of relevant materials for required shareholder and regulatory approval(s);
- Acting for a client in a trade mark application where prior use was successfully demonstrated;
- Providing advice on bank guarantee documentation in respect of financial accommodation; and
- Advising start-up entities on corporate structures.
Paul spends his spare time pursuing the improvement of his average golf game and otherwise happily ensconced in one of Melbourne’s many fine dining establishments.
Contact us to arrange a meeting and discuss your needs and goals.
Phone: (03) 8692 9000
Fax: (03) 8692 9040
Level 6, 400 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 16109, Collins Street West VIC 8007
Monday – Friday: 8:30am - 5:30pm