Sophie Inwood Partner
Sophie is the head of the litigation and insolvency team at QR Lawyers.
With over 10 years’ experience in insolvency and commercial litigation as well as general commercial matters, Sophie is well-placed to lead her team. She began her career in Sydney, New South Wales where she worked for around four years in the industry. In 2011 Sophie relocated to Melbourne, Victoria and has worked predominantly in the area of commercial litigation since then. She has substantial experience in running large scale and complex litigation, with a particular focus on insolvency, bankruptcy, and commercial litigation.
In 2016, shortly after returning from maternity leave with twins, Sophie was promoted to Partner and Head of Litigation at the firm. Sophie is also one of the responsible Partners for the Trainee Solicitor’s programme within the firm.
In 2019 Sophie was appointed to the Expert Panel for Immediation, an online dispute resolution platform offering a flexible alternative to Court. Sophie can be appointed as a mediator by parties using the platform.
Sophie’s recent work has included:
- Acting for corporate and personal insolvency practitioners including court action arising from their appointments and recovery actions;
- Acting for both individual and corporations involved in civil litigation throughout New South Wales, Western Australia and Victorian Courts and Tribunals;
- Assisting clients in financial distress and advising them as necessary in respect of all aspects of insolvency;
- Providing advice to corporate and commercial clients on various matters including commercial contracts, structuring and restructuring, and merger and acquisition transactions;
- Advising on industry specific anti-competitive behaviours and potential actions under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.
- Advising on ASIC investigations on behalf of Company Directors and related parties;
- Acting on behalf of the non-bankrupt spouse in an uncommercial transaction claim brought by the trustee of their bankrupt spouse.
In addition to her technical expertise, Sophie has a strong commitment to corporate social responsibility being actively involved in the Legal and Insolvency Industry. She is the current Chairperson of the Bayley House – Victorian Annual Fundraising Lunch.
Sophie is passionate about advocating for female opportunities within a male dominated industry. She was a former President and is a current member of Women in Insolvency and Restructuring Victoria (WIRV), a member of Victorian Women Lawyers and the National Association of Women in Construction (Australia). Sophie is also a member of the Law Institute of Victoria. In 2018, Sophie was also invited by the Honourable Justice Maxwell to join his Solicitor Advocates for Change events – an initiative which aims to help achieve equity and equality within the legal profession.
Sophie successfully combines a demanding workload and a busy family life at home with twin boy and girl and another younger daughter, plus a high maintenance Labrador.
Qualifications and Admitted Jurisdictions
- Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Social Sciences major in Criminology NSW & UTS University
- Supreme Court of Victoria
- Supreme Court of New South Wales
- High Court of Australia
Contact us to arrange a meeting and discuss your specific needs and goals.
Phone: (03) 8692 9000
Fax: (03) 8692 9040
Level 6, 400 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 16109, Collins Street West VIC 8007
Mon – Fri: 8:30am to 5:30pm